This is the first asset spotlight for the new project so I decided to go with something as simple and cliché as possible. So I made a crate.
This is a rendered image out of Blender, so it isn’t necessarily exactly how it will look in the game world, but it should be pretty close. I’m trying to keep everything as resource-light as I possibly can, so this crate has 240 triangles and a single diffuse texture that is 256×256. The triangle count is actually a little higher than I expected but I wanted some minor wobbles in the actual geometry to try and make it look a little more interesting, and unfortunately that requires triangles. Still, 240 is pretty low for a game asset of any size at all.
I’m okay with the look of the crate overall but the wood texture needs some work. I don’t even have a drawing tablet right now so with my limited art skills and dragging around a clunky mouse this was the best I could do. I will eventually redraw that. The metal isn’t exactly professional quality, but I’m still fairly happy with it for the time being.
Once the game is a little farther along I will do asset spotlights using renders from the actual game, but for now you can at least see where I’m trying to go with this.
Speaking of the game world, I found the code for the world editor I had previously written so I am in the process of tweaking that to work for the new environment of this iteration of the game. That should save me a ton of time because the editor is already around 1800 lines of code, and tweaking that much code base rather that rewriting from scratch will be a big help.
I’m going to try really hard to post to the blog every Friday this month and so far I’m off to a good start, so fingers crossed I’ll see you in a week with another update.