I was supposed to update here last (Saturday) night but I simply failed to do so. I have some fairly big remodeling projects going on at my house and I was just too tired to bother. I’m not too upset about it, and I’m posting today. This week I made some good progress. At this point the “game” has some significant features:
- A player character (sphere placeholder for now) that can move around a scene using WASD
- A camera that follows the character and which the player can zoom and rotate around
- Custom built collision detection between a unit sphere and arbitrary geometry. This is completely un-optimized but still mostly works.
Things I’ll be working on this week:
- Loading and moving a character with animations rather than a placeholder sphere
- Adding and improving assets in the game’s main village
Speaking of the village, here’s an updated view of the harbor.
Hopefully this gives an idea of the visual style I’m going for. This is rendered in Blender but hopefully I can pull off the same low-poly bright look and feel with THREE.js. There are still SO, SO, SO many things to figure out and implement, but I’m having fun so far and plan to keep at it, so stay tuned.